Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Last Post 2022

My final quilt of the year was for my husband. He asked for more quilts to have a backing of "soft warm material", meaning flannel. I decided to use flannel for front and back of the quilt that I made for him as a Christmas gift. 


Since I only had less than two weeks to make this quilt, I decided on a quilt-as-you-go quilt. I also tried a new method that I haven't used in my past quilt-as-you-go quilts.


Blocks were made with batting a quarter inch less all around the block so that when sewing the blocks together only the front fabrics and the back fabrics were sewn together with seam edges on the backside of quilt. My blocks were 10" with batting 9".


Top of quilt has no sashing. Blocks are sewn together. 


After sewing a couple of rows together, I felt the front of the quilt was boring and needed something else. While taking a break from the quilt, I noticed some of my outside plants with red petals were still in bloom in December. I decided to add a red flower to the quilt top. 


I played around with the placement of the flower petals before machine stitching them down.


I decided to change up my method of binding the quilt since all the material is flannel. I used a cotton fabric as a flange to act as a stabilizer for the binding. 


The yellow sashing hides the seam edges on the backside of the quilt. I didn't worry about making the plaid squares line up. That would have been a nightmare for me!  I normally wouldn't have picked a plaid, but it was the only patterned fabric that had the colors as the front fabrics that I liked. My husband was happy to get a quilt with "soft warm material" on front and back of quilt. He will stay warm under his quilt during the cold winter nights while watching tv on our comfy sofa.

No comments:

Post a Comment