Friday, October 28, 2011

It pays to measure correctly.

I have been busy adding the border. Took the leftovers resized them to fit into border. I'm loving this quilt. I'm now working on the pattern for the back. I have at least four fabrics that my mom had sent that I plan to use in this quilt.

I discovered that if measurements aren't just right piecing can get ugly very quickly. That is what happened with this quilt top. I should have made sure all the squares were squared up all to the exact same size, but in my haste to see the results of taking scraps to create a top I made a mess.

So, I spent a week ripping out the entire quilt. I then squared up the blocks to have them all the exact same size. I just finished today with reassembling all those pieces.

Even though it was a lot of work, I'm happy that I did it. I learned a lot in the process. And I'm now loving the look of the quilt!

I also learned that there is another pattern that looks somewhat similar called Jewel Box quilt. Next time, I will cut my squares and half squares to the size of the pieces used in a Jewel Box quilt tutorial that I have bookmarked and follow that pattern.

My border is next!