Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Kaleidoscope Quilt

 A kaleidoscope quilt has been on my bucket list for years. While watching Jordan Fabrics Youtube, I came across an easy method for assembling this type of quilt. Jordan calls it the Roundabout. I followed her pattern for what I call my kaleidoscope quilt.

I wanted my first project of the year to be this project. After weeks of record rains and clouds, I was wishing for Spring and warmer weather.  I wanted a quilt with bright, warm colors too!

I remember as a child looking through those cheap kaleidoscopes seeing a rainbow of colors. That was my goal for this quilt, warmth. I had to purchase a 45 degree ruler for cutting the triangles and some additional fabrics to complement the multi-color, flower background fabric.


I lost count of how many triangles I cut.


Assembling my blocks, I made sure of being careful with keeping perfect 1/4 inch seams. 


Took me some time arranging my pattern. Now one can see the circles formed from triangles. 


Next was cutting out and laying the backside of the quilt. Yup, this will be a quilt-as-you-go!


After sandwiching the layers, I quilted each block. Front fabric of blocks 9.5 inches, batting 8.5 inches, and back fabric 10 inches are the measurements. Blocks were then sewn together with the 1/4 inch seams going to the back. 


Two inch sashing strips folded down to one inch were used to cover the seams on the backside of the quilt. I originally had a very dark green in my fabrics that I decided not to use in the binding. Instead I went for the dark blue with the dots along with a pinkish fabric with pastel colors that isn't in the line-up of fabrics. I thoroughly enjoyed doing this quilt pattern and assembling as a quilt-as-you-go.


Signs of Spring are starting to show with some decorative fruit trees in bloom.


1 comment:

  1. Very nice, fun and bright! I've not done a quilt as you go. I don't quite understand how they go together. I could quilt something small like blocks.

    ReplyDelete