Thursday, June 21, 2012

Go'in Fishing

I recently participated in a group quilt project on the Quilting Board.  I have been a follower of the Vintage Machine thread on QB for about two years now.  Some of us are regular chatters and enablers. There is a member, Glenn, who is very knowledgeable on restoring antique furniture. He is retired now and likes to collects vintage sewing machines which he uses to make quilts. Oh, and he  loves to fish!  He has helped many of us in cleaning and restoring our dilapidated vintage sewing cabinets by posting tutorials on the QB site.  Well, a couple of gals decided that we should surprise him with a quilt with the theme of fishing since he is always going on fishing trips.  Those that had the time could submit a square with a fishing theme. 

Well, of course I jumped right in on this project! I made kissing fish after reading the post from one gal, Charlee, thanking Glenn with hugs and kisses for helping her out on cleaning up a badly damaged cabinet.  I used my Eldredge Two Spools for the piecing and the Necchi Supernova for the fish hook, eyes, and stitching on the tail. I signed it with my signature name on QB, VintageMotif.
 


Here is a photo of the finished quilt.  Nancy, who I have met numerous times at the Gold Country TOGA, did the piecing of all the squares and the quilting.  She did a beautiful job with her selection of fabrics and the quilting.  The contributors are from three countries, England, Canada, and USA.  Oh, and I have also met three of the contributors in person at the GCTOGA.  It is nice to see their works since I have only gotten to see some of their vintage machines, but no sewing projects.




And here is surprised and happy Glenn with quilt.


This was my first group quilt project. It is so rewarding to bring such happiness to someone!


3 comments:

  1. How neat! You can tell he really likes the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely idea, and it's cool to see all the different styles. Makes it special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your quilt block, and the quilt, put all together is just beautiful. What a wonderful, touching thing you did for Glenn. I know he will treasure it always. Does he have a blog?

    ReplyDelete