Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Graduation Gift for My Daughter

My daughter graduated this past weekend from Carnegie Mellon School of Architecture. She is the gal looking straight at the camera and wearing the brown graduation honor cord.


My husband and I are very proud that she survived five long grueling years of architecture school.

 
For her graduation present, I made her this quilt which she can now snuggle under while reading something for fun or while just watching a tv show. The colors in the fabrics are the Carnegie Mellon colors that are found in the Carnegie Mellon's tartan fabric which is also in this quilt.


The pattern is the Interleave pattern by Lorrie Cranor: http://lorrie.cranor.org/blog/2014/01/19/how-to-make-an-interleave-quilt/.

Since the mascot of Carnegie Mellon is the Scottie Dog, I use a fabric with a motif of scottie dogs. The large white dog has information about my daughter's graduation.


8 comments:

  1. The quilt is such a grand piece t celebrate. My #3 daughter also took those five years of architectural school but at Tulaine U. (I didn't make her a quilt for the occasion or even get to attend the ceremony) Beware... architects tend to marry other architects and pull all-nighters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yup, lots of all-nighters for weeks on end for the past five years...and...my daughter's boyfriend is on the right of her in the top photo. He is a very nice guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I have a friend who wants a single-sized bed quilt. Have you worked out the sizing for the strips, and are you willing to share that? Your double helix quilt is gorgeous. I love the tartan plaid in there. Thanks. Heidi

      Delete
    2. Sorry Heidi, I can't remember what I did and I didn't write it down. I tend to play with patterns and construction without taking full notes of what I did. Doing an Interleave this size was daunting. I wouldn't do one again. I would stick to making table runners, which will be much easier to do.

      Delete
  3. Congrats for your daughter. I have one that has graduated, and one that is still attending college.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Monica! I found you here more or less by accident, while googling a way to replace the race wick in a 66-1. Found your post from a couple of years ago, and it told me what I needed to know, so thanks very much for that! It took me a little browsing in your blog to realize who you were, but I knew when I saw my pincushion! Honored you would post it here. Congratulations on your daughter's accomplishment. I know how it feels, having an accomplished daughter myself. And, that quilt is marvelous and now I must add an "interleave" pattern to my growing list of must-do's. Sue K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad that the race wick tutorial was of help.

      Delete
  5. Perfect!!! you covered it all with this memorable quilt.
    -just found your blog-
    xo
    eva

    ReplyDelete