Saturday, July 19, 2014

Many Roads

I haven't done any quilting the past two months since I have been busy traveling. The first trip was to Japan with my son. I quickly tried to capture my son walking through the gates without others walking beside him at one of the shrines in Kyoto.


And this is me at a temple that is dedicated to praying for a safe pregnancy and healthy baby. Heehee, Well I'm too old for pregnancies, but the buildings and grounds were very pretty at this temple.


While in Tokyo, I purchased some fabric in a small fabric store in Shimokitazawa not too far from the Peacock grocery store. The fabric store is packed with beautiful fabrics from all over the world. I purchased this fabric since it was made in Nara. The print reminds me of my summers as a child picking flowers with my mom on the side of a country road.


Well, that all happened in June, and purchasing the fabric was the closest to quilt making for that month.

My second trip was driving to Houston from the SF Bay Area with my son. This is view from Carlsbad Cavern Park of the New Mexico basin with Texas in the far distance.


Carlsbad Cavern's natural entrance to the cavern is spectacular! It is worth spending a full day walking down into the cavern, taking the tours, and exploring this natural marvel.



On that road trip, I had many hours to think about my present quilting project, a scrappy Irish chain quilt. So after a couple of days of rest after returning home, I got out my scraps of fabric and went to work. I cut out 750 pieces of fabric.


Today, I started piecing squares into large 12" blocks. I hope to get this quilt done before my next trip; a trip to visit my family. This quilt will be a birthday gift for my younger brother.

3 comments:

  1. I love your pictures. Amazing you got them without hoards of people. The fabric looks like a good find.and your scrappy Irish chain will be great as well as colorful. Come back again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we could have visited together, but your Scouting event and my schedule just didn't let it happen this time around. I already miss walking the streets of Tokyo. I'll be back!

      Delete
  2. I love Carlsbad caverns. I'd like to go back some day. Glad your trips went well.

    ReplyDelete