Monday, August 4, 2014

Life Comes to a Halt

Last week was a difficult week for my family. My mother-in-law past away rather quickly. She was admitted to the hospital on Thursday evening and died early Monday morning. She had been sharp and alert up until her last week of life. Her only complaint had been that she was slowing down, which is normal for an 89 year old.


This photo is one of my favorites of her since she looks so happy and relaxed. It was taken on my wedding day, 26 years ago. She is holding a wine bottle; and yet, she never drank. She was just being silly, which she would do from time to time, her playful side.

Last week was spent reflecting back on times spent with her. In Japan, there is a custom of setting up a memorial in the home. This is my memorial to her that I have set up in my home. She will truly be missed.


I had a difficult time focusing on finishing the scrappy Irish chain quilt for my bother, but I did get it done in time. My mind kept difting to my recent travel to Houston with my son. That trip rekindled my desire to travel in an RV around the US and Canada with my husband. My mother-in-law's death made me realize that my husband and I need to start camping again. So, I started reading blogs by RV travelers and researching on RV vans. I'm getting too old for tent camping. Plus, I just want see more of the country, and so many National Parks are there to be visited. The RV van may have to wait until son is through college, but the camping travels don't need to be postponed.


From scraps of fabrics, a quilt is made...from dreams and desires, adventures are formed...and so my journey continues on.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry for your unexpected, sudden loss of someone so dear to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about your mother in law. We're with mine now. I think I'll give her an extra hug or two.

    ReplyDelete