I had purchased some fabric with a skeleton print that could be made into an apron over a year ago at a quilt show. When I saw the fabric, I thought this would make for a great theme for a Halloween quilt. Well time went by and that quilt never happened. I kept seeing other quilts to make, and my quilting "to do" list grew. I started into my black, white, and red triangle quilt with no Y seams that was on "to do" list. As I was sewing the front together, I thought of many possible backs. I love the look of double sided quilts. Well, I had leftover fabrics from the front that could be incorporated into the back. I used those pieces to form triangles for the back. Since I didn't have enough of them, I came up with the idea of scattering them onto a large background fabric and stitching them down with a decorative stitch.
Then, I remember that skeleton. That motif set the theme for the back of the quilt.
Binding was made from the leftover directions and sections of the apron fabric.
I'm so pleased that section of bones can be found on the binding.
And that is how I came up with the title Shattered Bones for this quilt.