Oh no, tension issues!
It pays to do things correctly the first time around. I realized that the thread tension dial was not correctly in place on my Singer 224. That is what I get for not taking that area apart to clean correctly when I first got the machine. Before starting work on the decorative stitching today, I took some very thin yarn with a light amount of oil to clean between the discs. Well in doing so, I somehow again messed up the tension mechanism. This is the third time I have done this stupid maneuver, and somehow the machine still sews. Normally it had been an easy fix, but not today. Well, I took the thread tension assemble apart and cleaned all the parts.
Reassembled the parts and adjusted the tension.
Much cleaner! Plus, it works!