Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Shades of Blue



I'm making another blue "Mondrian" quilt. This time, I'm quilting it differently from my last one that I made: http://color-my-world-with-warmth.blogspot.com/2013/08/mondrian-quilt-in-shades-of-blue.html

Since jean material is very thick, durable, and heavy, I'm not using batting for this quilt. The last jean quilt was heavy enough without the batting.

The quilting technique for marking is shown below. Tape is first placed next to the brown strip, stitching is ran next to the tape, and then the tape is moved next to the stitch line.


After running a straight stitch next to the tape, I move the tape again over to the new stitch line and then stitch next to the tape. This is repeated until the block is filled.


After the sections are all quilted, I then attach the sections together by using the quilt as you go technique.  First, I attach the brown strips to the top side. Then on the back side, I attach by machine a strip side to one of the sections that are being join together. The other side of that strip is then hand stitched into place on the adjoining section so that no stitching will be seen on the top side of the quilt.





5 comments:

  1. I really need to start trying machine quilting more. I can do small projects, straight stitch only. Squares would be fun. I've never tried on a treadle before, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Straight stitching is the easiest to do, and treadling is a fun way to go about it.

      Delete
  2. Love your Mondriaan quilts! They are very cool.

    ReplyDelete