Saturday, February 25, 2012

Beignets

Sweet and simple is my motto. I learned how to make beignets this week.

Cold yeast dough ready for frying.

It was fun watching them puff up!

These cuties were so easy and quick to make.

Yummy! They get eaten up quickly with a good cup of coffee!

Beignet Recipe
1 envelope active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (approx. 105°)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup evaporated milk
7 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup shortening, softened
oil

In large bowl, mix yeast, warm water, and sugar. Stir to dissolve and let stand for 5 minutes. Mix in salt, beaten eggs, and evaporated milk. Add 4 cups of the flour; beat until smooth. Add shortening, and then blend in remaining flour. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 4 hours or overnight. Roll out on floured board to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 2 1/2 to 3-inch squares. Deep fry at 360° for 2 to 3 minutes until lightly browned on both sides. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle generously with powdered sugar. Dough can cut and frozen, separated in container with waxed paper.

3 comments:

  1. oh, yum.....

    do you have coffee with chicory too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby makes these, but, he uses the mix from Cafe' Dumonde. I can get it at a local grocery store (even in Illinois). He doesn't let me around deep fat fryers. I'm not good with them. Cool! I'll take any excuse for someone else to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No chicory in my coffee this morning. I just like the coffee strong with a wee bit of creamer.
    I'm not one for deep frying either. I try not to cook with oil, but these looked so yummy I had to give them a try. I just filled a pot with about a 1/3 of oil, since I don't own a deep fat fryer.

    ReplyDelete