Sunday, February 12, 2012

Considerations

I spent the last couple of days testing out most of the Necchi's decorative stitches. Here is a look at the cam and attachment box that comes with the Necchi Supernova Ultra. I spent hours constructing cams and selecting my favorite patterns.


These are my favorite decorative stitches that I feel will work well for finishing off my bindings.


During one of my breaks from testing the cams, I took Hank the Tank, Singer 328K, out of his new home and placed him in a treadle. I did this for two reasons. One, I realized that I most likely wouldn't be using my Singer 15-90 in treadle anymore for free motion quilting since I now enjoy FMQ with the Necchi. And second, there are about three decorative stitches from the Singer 328k that I would still like to use from time to time. So, hopefully Hank is finished moving.


After removing the Singer 15-90 from treadle, I swapped the spoke wheel and bobbin winder that had been on it with the Singer 15BG168 (RAF decals) hand wheel and bobbin winder. The Singer 15-90 retired to the shelf of honor, and the Singer with the RAF decals (shown in picture below) was turned in a hand crank machine. I removed the hand crank with the gaudy, gold Chinese characters off the Singer 66 (which was a weird mismatch) and attached the HC to the Singer 15 with the RAF decals. This setup looks a bit better.

7 comments:

  1. I just got a hand crank with the chinese characters and my hubby and I are trying to figure out how to remove the chinese lettering and make it shiny again. We don't like it. Tacky...very tacky. Ick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The characters state "Made in the Peoples Republic of China". Someone told me that they just painted over the lettering with black nail polish, and someone else said to try touch up black car paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep, those repro handcranks are horrible--except for the fact that they are the only game in town!

    I didn't realize a 328 could be treadled. I have a student who wants a handcrank and I'm going to go check out my 328's right now to see what's up. I just LOVE decorative stitches too, and even if my student doesn't care about them, I think everybody needs a zigzag and a blind hem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen a Singer 328k used as a handcrank. Treadled yes, but I don't think it can be HC. Unless, one does a major modification which then isn't worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a great use of old treadles missing the machine head. I have heard of people "treadling" machines but never thought much about it myself...NEAT!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I painted over the chinese decals on my hand crank with black model paint. It looks much better to me now. The 'golds' just didn't match my machines decals at all. Glad Hank is back to the treadle base. He'll be happier now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheryl, I'm thinking of doing the same. Did you post photos of yours?

    ReplyDelete